If you love summer as much as I do, then you’ve definitely been enjoying the weather, here in NY. While summer is my favorite time of year, the sun and heat can take a toll on your skin and body, if you don’t take preventative measures. Below is a list of my Top Ten summer beauty products.
1. Sunblock – I make sure I use sunblock every day on my face and body. Most people only apply sunblock where their skin is exposed. However, remember UVA and UBA sun rays can penetrate clothing, especially white which is a summer staple for me. For my face I recently switched to Ambi Even & Clear Skincare Daily Moisturizer, SPF 30 from Aveeno Active Naturals Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer, SPF 30. I like the Ambi more because it’s lighter, leaves my skin less greasy and shiny, costs less for more product and smells better. For my body I use Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion, SPF 15. It doesn’t leave a sticky residue like the sunblocks I usually wear at the beach or pool.
2. Lip Glosses & Balms with SPF – SPF is important for your face and body, but also your puckers. The Wet N Wild Juicy Lip Balm, SPF 15 that I reviewed here, has really grown on me. I wear it every day to work now, if I want a little color. Otherwise I’ll use my Softlips Lip Protectant, SPF 20. If I’m going out, my favorite lip gloss is Clinique Long Last Glosswear, SPF 15. I received a tube as a free sample and I have to purchase more asap.
3. Cover Up – During the summer I want my face to feel as light as possible. I stay away from foundation but use MAC Select Moisturecover Cache-Cernes to conceal any imperfections. If you need significant coverage, another option is tinted moisturizer with SPF.
4. Sunglasses – Sunnies are a VERY necessary part of my daily ensemble. I have tons of cheapies but something about my fave Guccis (shown above) make me feel so bossified when I put them on. (Yes, bossified. And, I better not hear nunna y’all using that LOL.)
5. Exfoliating Shower Gloves – While you’re in the shower using that pumice stone (hint), don’t forget to exfoliate your body, too. I use exfoliating shower gloves. I prefer the gloves because they are sold as a pair (Target, dollar stores, etc.) as opposed to mitts which are sold separately forcing you to buy two or switch hands. Exfoliating helps the skin absorb lotion and creams better. It also makes self-tanners more even and last longer, if that’s your thang.
6. Pumice Stone/Ped Egg – There is NO excuse for crusty feet. It is crucial that you keep not only your toes pretty (see #7) but your FEET, too. This means the heels. With so many products like the Ped Egg and cheap pumice stones on the market, make sure your feet are on point especially during the summer. Period.
7. Fun Bright Nail Polish – I’m an essie girl. There probably isn’t an essie polish I wouldn’t wear. The consistency is so smooth and the colors are so pigmented. Usually only one coat is sufficient. This spring and summer neon colors have been very popular. I’ve been crushing on Play Date (shown above), I think that’s my next essie purchase. Tip: to make your neon polish really pop, apply one coat of white polish after your base coat, before your color.
8. Baby Powder – In the heat it is imperative that you stay so fresh and so clean clean. My favorite powder is Johnson’s Baby Powder. While I think powder is great, ladies, it should not, I repeat should NOT be visible on any exposed parts of your body. Period. Tip: if you’re wearing a dress or skirt, rub some on your inner thighs (if you have beautiful thunder thighs like me LOL) to avoid friction.
9. Blotting Paper – These are essential during the summer to cut down on shine. Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets are a staple for me. I also have elf sheets. Tip: If you have trouble skin, try NYX Tea Tree Blotting Paper. The tea tree is good for treating blemishes while controlling shine.
10. Body Splash – During the summer we all want to be as fresh as possible (hopefully). Body splash is a nice refresher and can be carried in your purse, especially if you’re going out after work. My absolute fave is Sea Island Cotton by Bath and Body Works.
Of course the TOP beauty product is water. Make sure you stay hydrated! Please share your faves below.